Under duress

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Help, my eyes are frying

Not good. A ridiculous amount of time in front of this bloody screen today – both in college and out. Am huddled here, back screaming from prolonged tensing, wearing my coat to keep warm, wishing I was anywhere else/doing anything else. Can't wait til the Christmas break, although it looks as if we'll have a shed-load of work to be getting on with if Derrek's homework is anything to go by. A three page essay on the essay form, and a twelve page story following the basic structure. And these aren't even for assessment? No, we have to write another 3000 words for that, together with a commentary. Great.

Our day was really full, with a naff library tutorial scheduled in between the morning's session, and the IT class after lunch. What a nightmare that was. An hour and a half evaporated, with me farting about trying to get the background colours right on the template, and an image inserted. Left with it half done, and absolutely no text added at all. God knows how we're supposed to do it by the deadline? Even if I went in every day, I still can't actually do what it is I want to do with it, and most of it, I haven't got a clue about anyway. Mega frustrating.

Trundled through Penzance town after being dropped off, before heading home. Bought some kid Christmas presents on a kind of an impulse really. I'm sure that much rather spend the money on something else. I'm crap at choosing things for them – just like my own mother. Must sort presents out for her and my bro really, really soon.

Picked up my camera from the shop, repairs much quicker than I'd anticipated. First positive thing that's happened to me for ages! Called in to the post office to get a new-fangled 'large size' first class stamp. Wanted to post off a copy of my Ash Wednesday poem for the New Writer competition. Total waste of £4.00, I know, but I've gone and done it now. Also sent off as copy of my Geevor tin mine poem to the Kernow Poetry section in Cornish World magazine. Not a brilliant poem, but suitably themed. Had to go into WHSmith to find out the address to send it to. Wondered whether to apply there for a possible work placement, but they're based in Truro. Makes more sense to approach Inside Cornwall instead, as they're just up the road in Newlyn. Best get onto that asap.

Tried to pop into Natwest bank to see about setting up a new account with an overdraft facility as Sarah suggested, but I was 5mins too late. Went to the job centre to make enquiries as to what is happening with my request to review their decision on my claim, but no-one answering the in-house phones. More bloody shopping – quorn mince and onions for Lucy's food technology lesson tomorrow. Spag bol. Was proper tired by the time I got home.

Half a foot in, and I was bombarded with a request for eggs. Super cook Lucy, had started making cookies from my ancient Winnie the Pooh Cookbook, but we had no eggs. Nothing for it then, but to jump on the bike back to the shops.

Just enough time to sort dinner and eat some of it, before heading off on the scout run, with Lucy brandishing the walking stick that they're in the middle of carving, narrowly missing several parked cars on the way to ours. Could've done with a talking book – I miss not having one to listen to during these routine shuttle services. Must make a point of borrowing some more from the library.

Dropped in to a mate's on the return journey, as she'd said at book club that she had a spare printer I could have. Hopefully working, but needs a USB. And needs to have the drivers etc. installed – all very complicated stuff for me. Asked at the computer shop how much ink cartridges are for a Lexmark, and I think I can get re-fills there for £10. Not sure if that's reasonable or not? Anyway, will be good not to have to email assignments to myself all the time. And good for the kids' school work. Might have to ask Steve to help me with that one.

So the rest of the evening has been exceedingly dull, like my entire day really. Tidying, always the tidying, and making a start on Bill's book blog – 2 entries so far. Also tweaked and posted Happiness piece of writing. Spotted a glaring error though after I'd sent it off, and not enough time to edit in the 5min window they allow you when attaching the document. Set the story back in 1974 to make the 'boys' reminiscence plausible in terms of sophistication of language. Then tacked on an end para to return it to the present, 2006, as per the brief. Then realised that Ships and Castles – the swimming pool – wouldn't have existed 32 years ago. Bugger.

Will have to let it go though, too late now. A mountain of dishes awaits me, Oh joy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home