Under duress

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Missed again

Another day's entry omitted yesterday – a slippery slope I fear. Am pre-empting the possibility that I may neglect my blogging responsibilities later this evening by posting now. Have to be at work in an hr and will be simultaneously attending to dinner during typing sections. Multi-tasking as usual.

Yesterday was a bit of a non-event day anyway, probably not even worth recording. A morning of administrivia but at least my application for a career development loan has been sent off, and documents required for a grant now photocopied. Paper shuffling really is the bane of my life. No word from social security regarding my request for them to review my claim for back-pay either. Would certainly come in handy – cover the course fees in full. Better chase that up next week if I haven't heard in the next few days.

Had seen a small clothes boutique with massive 'Clearance Sale' signs everywhere. Massive mark downs so thought I'd try and find a pair of desperately needed warm winter trousers. Gathered loads of bits to try on but then had to wait nearly half an hour for the one change room. In the end had to say through the cubicle door 'are you going to be much longer'? 'Sorry dear, didn't realise anyone was waiting or I wouldn't have taken so long', was the reply. Grrrrrr. Then after all that, didn't like anything anyway. Came away with a 50p pair of swimmers for Billy which he doesn't really need but can be a spare. Was starving by this stage so had to eat, just a snack as saving myself for later as had invited Graham round for dinner.

Tried to get some writing done but kind of hit the wall. Made the fatal mistake of sitting on my bed, then pulling the duvet over me slightly, and laying my head on the pillow. Woke up 20mins later when Lucy came home from school with a pool of dribble cupped in my palm. Mmm Mm, nice.

Interspersed the roast dinner preparations with a much needed swim. The less I do it, the more boring it becomes – am out of the habit of laps and it's exceedingly dull. Did have a sudden flash of inspiration for an idea for a non-fiction book, a tongue-in- cheek How to... manual on becoming a successful life model. (I hesitated for a second there as to whether to disclose my intellectual property, paranoid that someone would run away with it before me. But who am I kidding? a) it's a mediocre idea at best, and b) nobody reads this anyway! Panic over.

So dinner took longer than I anticipated, Rosie had to head off before it was ready, Lucy was already at gym, me and the boys were starving and couldn't wait any longer as it was gone eight, and started without Graham. He turned up eventually but I was in a right grump – had gone to so much effort to produce this amazing meal that he hadn't even bothered to arrive in time for. Not helped either by Eddie suddenly telling me that he needed to go up to Porthtowan tonight as the surf competition was going ahead on Saturday after all. Fantastic. All I wanted to hear when I'd promised the little kids a 'Family Night In' playing games etc.. And Graham and I were hoping to play some music together. Totally scuppered.

Graham came along for the ride, and we managed to call in at the Godolphin Arms in Marazion on the way back, to see Nigel, one of our sax players, in another band of his – the Soul Survivors. Great musicians, not so great covers. Could see Nigel cringing as we witnessed their rendition of that eighties classic, The Heat is On. Tasty. Office party atmosphere, and a private function that we clearly hadn't been invited to, dressed as we were, in our crusty clothes. So we escaped to the downstairs bar for a drink/Soul Survivor bashing session. As if we could talk?! Mere harmless banter, didn't really mean any of it. Chatted briefly to Nige afterwards. Poor bloke has now been officially ousted from the family home. He'd just come back from a trip to Japan to do with the school (he's a deputy head) to discover that his wife had found him somewhere else to live and he was no longer welcome. They've been struggling with marital discord for quite some time – five kids, not easy. Still seems a bit harsh though as he's such a lovely man.

In the end, we did play a bit of music – working on one of Graham's songs for me to sing. So late by this time, and so knackered, didn't last long. Heavenly to have someone to snuggle up to, even better to have someone to have passionate sex with (sigh). Slept like a log, but got woken up all too soon as Billy had to get ready for gymnastics.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home