Under duress

Sunday, November 26, 2006

Avoidance tactics

Have successfully managed to avoid assignments/writing yet again. Not good. And now I've got this bloody pop-up flashing 'critically low disc space' at me. No printer, overloaded system, firewall about to cease...it could all go horribly wrong. God knows what I'd do if all my work crashed and burned? Don't really have any back-up. A terrifying thought, which hopefully will never come to pass. Equally terrifying, are all the deadlines that are looming. Somehow have to try and keep up in these next 2wks, before we all have a well-deserved break. (self-directed writing week).

Gorgeous day today though, and so mild. Dropped Billy off in Hayle to get a lift to Plymouth for his gymnastics competition. Really grateful to his lift offerees. Not that I don't want to be a supportive spectating parent, but it's such a long way to go, and sitting indoors, in a stifling hot, airless hanger, watching endless rotations of kids vaulting and poncing about doing floor routines, is boring as hell. Sorry Billy, yet another clear example of my bad mother status.

Home to cook breakfast for me man, and then a truncated Lamorna loop walk.. Graham talked about photographing Penwith trees and putting together a little book – The Ba(l)dlands as a working title maybe? Old trees being such a rarity round these parts, the idea would be to flag up trees of interest, a bit of back-history, and accompanying notes, walking routes to find them, and of course, stunning portrait photos of the trees themselves. Wonder what Susie would think of that as a Non-fiction book proposal? Worth pursuing?

Back over to Hayle to take Lucy to juniors, and Rosie for a surf. Took my stuff just in case, although the intention was to sit in the car and write. But it was so sunny! And I hadn't been in in ages. Nowhere near as cold as I'd expected in the water, but a killer to get changed again afterwards. Think I might skip it now til spring – too old and too wimpy. And will definitely need to prioritise time better.

Shouldn't have, but did, go to the cinema to see the new Almaldovar film, Volver. Very good, but wasn't expecting it to end when it did. Think I was just enjoying it too much to want it to stop. Excellent acting performances, fantastic cinematography, and great script. Wish I could write dialogue like that. Have to write some for Bill's homework but haven't a clue what to do.
Couldn't join the others for a post-screening discussion in the pub, as had to dash back to Hayle for the third time, to collect Billy. Team gold, so he was chuffed I think.

Eddie returned from his weekend up at Porthtowan, made some pasta for both himself and Lucy which was very brotherly of him. Nice bit of team work happening lately – helping each other out. Hope it lasts, as I really need them to pull together. Good to see that Dunquirke spirit in action.

Now they're all snuggled up under me duvet, watching the latest David Attenborough Living Planet series. Meant to be amazingly fantastic, and would love to be down there watching too, but have to be disciplined. Graham's just rocked up as well – all very happy families. So that's probably about as much procrastination as I can get away with for one day. Time to get the pen out.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home