Under duress

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Tech-tech-technology

Was determined to be pro-active about getting my website live today , as per course instructions. So having poured over Internet guff for hours – trying to work out which web host to go with, what package to opt for and the domain name I should choose, I stumbled across this thing that said you needed FTP to upload it all?! Well that totally flummoxed me.

In the end, after spending even more fruitless time trying to decide whether I had to download a trial FTP thingummy or not in order to be able to do it, I rang the son of a vague acquaintance who's into computers for his advice. I was kind of hoping to arrange some face-to-face time but he insisted he could talk me through it over the phone.

Well, £27 on my debit card, and an hour later, we were still getting nowhere with it – wasn't working at all. The upshot of this being that I have to meet up with him Saturday lunchtime now (face-to-face) to see if he can sort the problem out then. I really, really want to get it out of the way, if I can, before we go off on our jolly to the Isle of Wight, easter Monday. Half the content still needs updating, but I guess that'll have to come later – as long as it's vaguely 'functional' I suppose.

I was so wound up by the end of that little episode that I thought I was physically going to erupt – have a mini-volcano spouting forth molten brains and brimstone – felt shaken to the core.
Could barely get Rosie's provisional license application form in the envelope to take it to be posted I was so jittery. And found myself yelling at the kids about ridiculous things for no tangible reason.

Clearing loads of nettles and brambles from the meadow was exactly what I needed – really putting my back into it, and pulling those feckers out relieved so much tension and pent up frustration. Brilliant. And such a fab day. Even the kids were getting into doing a spot of gardening.

Cycled over to Tredarvo woods after which was also lovely. Lay star-fished in a grassy meadow, gazing up at leafless trees, against blue, blue sky while they were off swinging on rope swings (the only ones around that haven't been disabled/removed courtesy of health & safety)! And generally larking. Started writing a letter to me mum, but didn't get very far. Too many nature distractions – too relaxing.

Band practise dire – which doesn't bode well for Friday night! Was feeling decidedly edgy and uncomfortable prior to kicking off the music (not helped by melodica being completely fucked) but touched that a couple of the guys in the band said that I should maybe take some time out from rehearsals for a bit seeing as there weren't any gigs coming up now til June. They'd actually acknowledged that maybe things were a little bit tough for me right now(!)

This time though, it wasn't me stuffing up the night, everyone else was playing really, really badly! And then Graham chucked his harmonica aside in disgust, which landed on my violin, and snapped the top two strings! Marvellous. I then couldn't rehearse the bits I needed to, and stood around like a plonker half the night. Mind you, I'd had a few puffs by then, was well-mellowed out and chilled, so merely shrugged my shoulders, thinking... what the hell next??

Another thing to sort tomorrow then I guess.





1 Comments:

At 2:57 PM, Blogger Jacqui said...

Good luck with your website. You do write a great blog, which I enjoy reading. As you're writing your book, if your honest account of what's happening is replicated, it will be a great read.

Am at Vitality a couple of days next week, if you have the time, and fancy a catch up over coffee. No worries if not.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home