Under duress

Monday, March 26, 2007

Low

Another day, another frustrating, not-very-productive indoors-y time of it at the writing coalface. Part-way through page twelve so far – had no idea it would be so agonisingly slow! Probably should've made an earlier start of it but was desperate to finish Into Thin Air (which I did – diving back into bed for an hour, after the kids had gone off to school, in order to do so).

Having been near as dammit there, looking down on Base Camp, I can fully appreciate what an horrific ordeal they all went through, and am in total awe of Apa Sherpa whom we stayed with on the trek – Apa holds the World Record for summiting Everest 16 times – five of those with out supplemental oxygen. What a legend! Incredible that he should be living in such relative poverty still though.

Although densely factual, and in places, overly repetitive, it was still a riveting read, and if I'd written anything even remotely as good as that I'd be well-chuffed, that's for sure. Nice just to be even reading a book – the last one I attempted was Wuthering Heights which I didn't even finish.

But reading isn't going to get my book written. Pity really.

Neither is moping around feeling sorry for myself all the time – its getting boring now, and deflecting far too much energy away from where it's needed. Tomorrow, I'll be positive. Tomorrow will be turnaround point. Tomorrow will be a fine and dandy day.


5 Comments:

At 4:02 AM, Blogger miss-cellany said...

Is it just the time of year? I also keep hoping that 'tomorrows' will be productive... In the same boat, reading 'Night Watch' (great book) and repeating the mantra that 'in order to write, we have to read'.

That is true. Like it's better to smoke and drink with out guilt, as the guilt makes them physiologically worse. I like those facts. Just wish I could get on with some work too..

Keep going you, I want to read your book! And thankyou for your lovely comment :) x

 
At 4:03 AM, Blogger emapple said...

Hi, looking through our collective blogs, it seems we are all feeling low at the moment. I'm envious of the fact you've even manged to start writing - which is more than I've done.

Hope things are beginning to pick up.
xx

 
At 8:16 AM, Blogger Jacqui said...

It's funny how some days writing is more productive, and other days not much at all seems to get done despite spending hours at the computer.
I try to allow myself reading time, as reading different people's writing styles helps me understand and develop my writing style more, and often gives me ideas.
I've been reading lots of vagina books though which is getting slightly tedious.
So even if I'm not writing I feel I'm still being productive.
It doesn't stop the guilt that comes with not writing though.

 
At 4:03 AM, Blogger Liam said...

Hello, just thought I'd send you some words of encouragement.

I'm in the same boat as you at the moment I think. I seem to have ground to a standstill and finding it very hard knowing where to start with everything. If I ciuld just focus on the novel, then maybe things would seem a bit more manageable.

I wonder if you feel that same horrible guilt when you're reading instead of writing? It's that, and the promise to myself that tomorrow will be more productive, that seem to be haunting me at the moment.

Anyway, chin up, you can do it.

:) Liam xxx

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger Fi said...

Thanks. Thank you all. Making me teary just reading this. Appreciate your support and well wishes, and sorry to hear you're also struggling.

'Pull myself together' keeps battering my consciousness, but not doing a very good job of it so far.

Am also, frankly, a tad embarrassed to be flopping out my vulnerability like this. On one level I think it's keeping me borderline sane, but on another, it's probably not that healthy to be so raw?

Onward and upward. I think the sun's trying to come out just now.
Take care all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home