Under duress

Monday, January 08, 2007

Reality check

Made the most of my last lie-in for some time, and slept in until 10am. Only Lucy still at home, but she'll be back at school tomorrow, thank god. May actually be able to get on with things now that they'll all be back into their routines. Went into HDS for my appointment with her mentor and have an update on her progress – all hunky-dory as expected. Was frustrating having to wait, as the appts. Were running behind time. All I could think about was making a start, finally, on my study block assessment work.

Dashed into town though first to grab some milk, and fruit and veg. Also briefly scoured the charity shops for necessary bits of ski kit, and managed to find Lucy some bigger wellies, and Billy, a coat that zips up. Lucy hassling me when I got home to get the rest of the stuff down from the attic, to see what's still needed, but I resisted – didn't want to get side-tracked. She had to settle for doing a jigsaw puzzle on her own instead. Poor substitute, really.

Fed up with tripping over all the bags of wetsuits from yesterday, so ended up rinsing them all out, and chucking the manky towels in the wash, together with all the damp, smelly towels in the bathroom – nothing ever dries in this house. The only thing that flourishes, is the mold. With determined will-power, I avoided attacking the enormous pile of dishes in the sink, despairing of the chaotic mess, but happy in the knowledge that it was Eddie's turn, when he got back from college, later in the day.

Finally, finally, turned on the computer. Had more or less selected the pieces I'm submitting for assessment late last night, so uploaded them all onto the screen for a tentative word-count. Looks as if I'm going to be fairly lucky with arriving at 3000 words per subject area, as virtually all of my pieces hover around the 1000 word mark. Totally stumped as to how I'm going to present my blog though – as the current word count to date (excluding today) is 38,675 words. Pretty impressive, and a darn sight more than a couple of thou.

However, it finally dawned on me how daunting the prospect of writing up 9 – 10 critical rationales of 1000 words each is. Ensuring that they are formatted correctly, doing the admin on all the forms, presenting two copies of everything, as well as a hard disc copy, and providing a self-evaluation score to boot. All this in only ten days from now. What was I thinking over the holiday period? Why didn't I get on the case much, much sooner. At least I've made a small dent in it today, having completed two CR's for two of Derrek's assignments, bar last minute tweaking. That leaves, only seven more to go. And some major work to beef up my website. At the moment it's utter pants. Looks shit, with nothing on it. Really hope Nick from Digital Network Peninsula will be able to give me a helping hand on Friday, when I see him. Also getting slightly paranoid about this computer crashing, and me losing all my work. Think I might see about buying a memory stick tomorrow – will ask in class what people recommend.

Best log off now, let Eddie get some sleep, as must be hard trying to drop off whilst having to listen to the tippy-tap of the keyboard. I know how much I hate the ticking of the clock in the girls room whenever I have to play musical beds and sleep in there. Usually have to bury the damn clock under something thick and soft.

So back to the grindstone tomorrow. Slightly concerned that I can't get in contact with my car share partner, Sarah. Will be a pain if I leg it down to the Spar, wait anxiously, and then end up running back up the hill to drive my car over. Hopefully, she's just lost her mobile or something, or changed phones and neglected to let me know her new number. Definitely not looking forward to the early start. Doesn't help that I'll need a shower, both to wake up, and sort out my disgustingly greasy hair. And there's not enough milk for the morning. Or bread for making packed lunches. Great. Sounds really encouraging for tomorrow doesn't it.

Ok, ok, I really am going to log off now – right after I've posted on my new, fancy version of blogger, (I even have a personal profile now, although I still can't work out how to upload a photo). Oh, and I also have to check my emails, you know, just in case. G'nite.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home