Under duress

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

'Tis the season

Christmas celebrations coming thick and fast now. Had a pleasurable evening for the book club's annual festive gathering. Plenty of posh nosh, and readings various. I ended up choosing a poem about shorts because I couldn't come up with anything decent referring to Xmas, and it reminded me of this time last year.

Got the last of the parcels in the post today; one to Hilary, one to the Isle of Wight, and one to Aaron and Mel in Spain. Also handed out a few Christmas cards, so doing quite well for me.

Our small, but tasteful, regrettably artificial, tree was decorated on Sunday – baubles, candy canes, and discrete white lights only. But tonight Rosie ended up taking down our stars – the room looks so sad and bare now. Think I'm going to have to insist that they be re-instated after a dust down and re-paint. Definitely not the same without them; just a boring expanse of ceiling now.

Graham called by for a quick cuppa, on his way home, and we tested out the new DVD and video player, both of which work fine. Expect we'll be glued to the screen now over the holiday period. Bumped into Ali in town earlier, who let me know that they're holding another orienteering bike ride at Carnyorth on the day of New Year's eve. May twist Eddie's arm to come and join us for a family cycle if I can borrow a bike for him, and if his foot's up to it – don't want him to overdo it. Would be really nice to do something all together though, must remember to use up the Geevor Tin Mine tickets before the end of the year, maybe drag Graham and Rory along as part of our family.

Was fun going skating at the Eden project on Saturday, made all th4e more so because Rosie came along. A full on day with the little kids going to the pantomime with the scouts; me and Rosie having our busts measured at Marks and Sparks (she's an incredible 32 DD, whilst I'm a lamentable 34 A) and then drooled over all the gorgeous lingerie; and then busking Christmas carols with Pondlife near the cathedral – a total hoot. The funniest moment was asking the Phones4U shop if we could please plug into their power supply, and then having to lower down a cable from a first floor window – worried I was going to take out some poor innocent shopper down below! Had to leave before they'd finished to get to the Eden in time, and sing in Vicky's special Eden choir, but apparently they made a respectable £68? Meant to be going again in Penzance for late night shopping on Thursday, but I'm working at the Acorn for the Kneehigh run.

Still not got my head round assignments, or reading, or final assessment prep – am seriously going to run out of time if I'm not careful. Have to earn this bloody ski holiday by doing the right thing by my course, otherwise, I know I won't enjoy it – will feel too guilty. Did, however, knock up a short story today to submit to the new writing section i bloc, which may or not be selected for the Family edition next month. It wasn't a particularly great piece of writing, but it was quite poignant, talking about the death of Gill and Seamus's baby. I was thinking, wondering how they were going to be, spending Christmas just the two of them again. Not a family yet, so sad.

I need to think about my family now, as it's 1.33am now, and Eddie's waiting for me to finish up typing this, so that he can get to sleep, and I don't want to disturb Billy, cos he's been violently sick tonight – the excitement of the Scout Christmas party at Country Skittles tonight must have been too much for him. Either that, or it was the chicken nuggets!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home