Under duress

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Ska'd up carols, whatever next?

Made it back from rehearsal without running out of petrol, just. The needle's about to disappear off the dial it's registering so low. Was planning on staying after to chat with me man, but thought it prudent to leave with the others in convoy, just in case. Had anticipated filling up in St Ives before modelling, but the garage was shut. Considered driving over to the 24hr servo in Hayle, but decided to wing it instead. Fortunately, it worked out ok, as breaking down in a clapped out old car with no MOT's not a good idea.

Rehearsal was fun though, practising Christmas carols ready to go busking in Truro on Saturday. Will be a busy day for me: have to take the kids to the Hall For Cornwall at 1.30pm to see the pantomime with the scouts; noodle about on the melodica to all those seasonal faves (may even borrow the jingle bells I bought today for one of the kids as a stocking filler for the occasion)! then leg it up to the Eden project to sing with the choir there, followed by ice skating; and finally, drop kids back at home before racing over to Toby's 50th birthday party at Boscownoon. Exhausted already just thinking about it.

Busy day today also. Spent a fair bit of time making phone calls and dealing with administrivia.
Had to go to the library to print off completed story for Mslexia. Bashed out a couple of emails while I was there. Wandered round in town for ages trying to think of/find presents for the Australian contingent; kept getting sidetracked, looking at things that would be good for anyone but who I was meant to be buying for. Typical! Took so long, I didn't have enough time to get them all wrapped and parcelled up – that'll have to be tomorrow morning's job I guess, will leave me the afternoon free to get some college work done. The week's flying past and I feel like I've not written anything useful. Am pleased with the revamped Losing the Plot story, but really, I should be getting on with assignments and bloc articles. Need to write up the Kurt Jackson interview soon, before it all gets forgotten. Add to the book reading blog. Get that 12 page story on the go for Derrek, not to mention the essay (what was he thinking?). Much too much.

At least it looks as if I've sorted out a work placement ok. Cornish World, here I come. Have arranged a meeting with Nigel, the editor, on Monday, so better grab hold of a copy, bone up on it, and try and come up with some possible feature article ideas? Ask intelligent questions and all that.

Picked up the massive TV etc.. it's hideous, outrageously over-sized, dominating the entire downstairs room. Had to commandeer Daisy to help me unload it from the car – was like wheeling a robot across the road, as it's bolted onto this ugly stand, and looks quite space age in a black plasticky kind of a way. The woman was fretting something rotten because she couldn't find the remote that goes with the VCR, and he was fretting that it wouldn't fit in the fiesta. Luckily it did. He also made a big song and dance about easing it in, and insisted on tying it up. Have to make sure I return the rope now. Still don't know why I went ahead and got it, even if it was free – it's just so awful. May have to go after Xmas I think. We'll watch loads of vids, and then pass it on.

Such a palaver collecting the damn thing that Billy was late to see the doctor – needed some cream for the fungal itch under is arm pit. A right rush to get dinner sorted and Billy off to sing with the choir at St John's Hall. Couldn't stay, as had to be over in St Ives. Tomorrow night is the school carol concert which I'll only be able to sit through some of, before making a swift departure, off to the Acorn for a fake U2 gig. Should be interesting.

Disappointed I couldn't hang out with G for a bit tonight – getting rather fond of him I think. Probably for the best though, as it's nearly 2am already. Feel as if I'm coming down with something too – possibly a dreaded cold. And I definitely don't want one of those for Christmas!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home