Under duress

Monday, December 18, 2006

All choired out

Another Acorn Choir Christmas evening. Full house, happy vibe atmosphere. Graham even came along after his panto rehearsal – very sweet of him. Was quite touching to have his support.

Eddie back behind the bar again, which naturally meant that I embarrassed him by saying to everyone I knew, 'this is my son', and 'have you met my son?' etc.. Had the plaster off this morning which is brilliant news. Now sporting a snow boot-like contraption, which allows far greater mobility – no need for crutches, and no longer in pain. So nice to see him on the mend, and feeling much perkier. Looks like he may be able to go snowboarding towards the end of the season after all. Promised I'd stump up the money for it seeing as I'm paying for the rest of us to go next month, only seems fair. Don't recall my parents ever being that generous.

Had a brief meeting with Nigel Pengelly this morning regarding the work placement I'll be doing at the end of Jan. Scary but exciting. Will be amazing to get something in print (if it's good enough), so will have to make a real effort. Said that my preference was for current affairs – just hope that I get it right. Had a look on their website beforehand which was pretty lame – not a great deal of info about the magazine content, just an over-view, and lots of pictureless text. (Reminds me, I have to get cracking on some ideas for my course website soon). Asked for a couple of back copies to get an idea of style/writerly guidance, so a bit of light holiday reading there I guess.

A brief run around the shops to get presents for friends that need sending in the post. A visit to the bank to order a new cash card – my current one's being intermittently refused, or transactions are mysteriously voided. Also popped into the post office to enquire about taxing vehicles, and applying for a rebate on an unused tax disc. Am tempted to run the Fiesta until the end of the month now, change over to the new one in the new year, but not sure if it's wise to risk it. Knowing my luck, I'll end up having a bingle, and then I'll be stuffed insurance-wise. Mmm, tricky.

Got treated to lunch by Traveller Space which was rather nice. A bit of a trek to St Day, but meant that I could chat to little Sam and Matt on the way. Felt as if I should've been mingling a bit more, been chattier with the other women, but to be honest, I was too tired to do much of anything. I was always amazed by Matt and Caroline's faith in me – they had me lined up to be the next group leader?! Not sure if I would've been up to the task to be honest. I'd be so nervous, and worried about saying/doing the wrong thing, and everyone thinking how useless I was. When I've finished the MA, and am gainfully unemployed with lots of free time, I'll have to give it another bash.

Best quit this, and make my way downstairs, and over to the waiting pile of dishes in the sink. Can admire our diddy little tree in the corner while I'm at it. Rosie's suggestion that we don't have any tinsel a wise one – looks far better for being simple and uncluttered. Were supposed to have sorted out the lights, other decorative touches, and strung up the cards tonight, but it just didn't happen.

Tomorrow. Last night was chaos as we made way to install the monster telly; deciding how best to set it up. Involved having to move all the musical stuff, and find new places for them to be. Not easy when storage and space are two things that are in very short supply in this house. This re-shuffle was complicated by the fact that Billy and Lucy insisted that they play carol duets. All well and good, (designed to get us all in the festive spirit), but they were out of time, out of sync, and out of tune. Uffi turned up to collect his guitar, left in my car the previous evening, and ended up accompanying them. Made a right racket, but such a delight to have them playing their bloody instruments for a change. They never ever practice, so not going to knock it when they do have a go. Looked as if they were getting into it as well. We'll have a Read family band together before you know it.

My results from the open university came through today – not a distinction, but I did come away with a high pass, so I'm pleased with that. At this stage, no plans to take the degree further. Certainly not this year, but maybe I can pick it up again in a year's time. Who knows. Beginning to experience some low level panic at the moment; trying to figure out how the hell I'm going to have time to get our Xmas break homework completed, plus, started to write the commentary about our final assessment pieces. Haven't worked out a strategic plan, but it may turn out to be essential.

Just have to carry on, head held high, and just knuckle down and write the damn things. Pronto.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home