Under duress

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Gobble, gobble

Well, we ate the turkey dinner yesterday, and the left-over turkey and cranberry sauce rolls for lunch today, so that's it for festive fowl I think. Has been a surprisingly pleasant Xmas – sociable, and family at the same time – much better than I'd anticipated.

Amazed that the kids let me sleep in until nearly half nine yesterday; they'd done their stocking thing, but then lain in bed reading or whatever before waking me up. Bunged the croissants in the oven, and then attacked the pile of presents under the tree – not that there were all that many this year.

Rosie's gifts to everyone were particularly thoughtful and tasteful. I did well, getting a smart Little Black Dress, a woollen scarf, some pearlescent eye-shadow, and a beautiful sparkly green necklace. She bought Lucy a lovely little dress as well, and Eddie a black jumper, together with a massive tin of Milo. Billy got a new commando style backpack, complete with inbuilt compass – won't get lost walking to school from now on. Very sweet of her to buy us all such nice things. Even Eddie lashed out and bought presents for once. Some anti-stress incense, eucalyptus oil, and candles for my Moroccan lantern for me; ski gloves for Rosie; woollen gloves and a hat for Lucy; and some boxers for Billy.

When it came to the biggie - ski holiday for all (bar Eddie, who has toi take a raincheck) - Lucy piped up and said, 'I can't believe it, Grandma's payed for us to go skiing'. To which I replied through clenched teeth, 'No dear, it was me. Your mother'. That's gratitude for you!

Blew out going to Hayle for the Xmas swim, as it was too late, but thought we might've had enough time to make it to Sennen. Loaded up the car with boards and wetsuits, thermos and Xmas cake etc. for a post-swim surf. It was like midsummer at Sennen car park – so crowded – we were lucky to find a space. Just as we pulled in, we could see the pack of nutty hardcore swimmers make a run for it towards the sea. Grabbed my towel, and pegged it to the beach, stripping off in double quick time, running in after them with a few other latecomers like myself. Was helpful not having any time to think about it – didn't feel the cold, or worry about how icy it was going to be, at all. Two years ago when I'd done it, I was so frozen afterwards, my teeth were literally chattering for more than half an hour. This time, it felt relatively reasonable; wasn't shivering in the slightest.

Drove back around to Gwenver to find some slightly bigger waves, Eddie keen to get in the water again after his injury. The sky may have been grey, but it was bright, and felt good to be outdoors. Ed and Rosie both went in, while me and the little kids collected loads of wood to make a fire. I was dead chuffed to get the thing started at the first attempt, and we managed to keep it ablaze for a couple of hours. Was quite exciting, adventurous even, to be sat around a fire, on the beach, on Christmas day.

Me and Billy took over the boards when the other two got out (Lucy too wimpy to get in the water); didn't feel the cold (not surprising seeing as I had gloves, boots, and a hood on), but still surfed spectacularly badly. I really should just give up – far too old to be trying to pick up a new sport. Expect I'll be similarly rubbish at snowboarding when we go, and desperate to get the skis back on again.

By the time we got home, and I'd spent ages rinsing out all the wetsuits, it was 4pm, and we were all starving hungry, breakfast having been hours and hours before. Snacked on some posh cheese and crackers, then settled down to a nice family game of monopoly, (except that Rosie refused to join in)! Remembered that the kids should ring their grandparents to wish them a happy Xmas, as well as to their dad, part-way through. The grandparents weren't there, but they did all have a brief conversation with Terry. Still need to confirm arrangements for Thursday, as he said something about them going up on the train. If they do bugger off for a few days, I'm going to have to chain myself to the house/computer, and try and get my holiday assignments out of the way. And make a start on my assessment pieces – at least start thinking about which ones I may consider using. Depressing thought though.

Grabbed a quick shower to wash the salt off, and dress up in my new Xmas togs, ready to go over to Simon's for dinner. Had to abandon monopoly right at the point where it was beginning to get interesting. All rush, rush, rush with us turning up half an hour late. Needn't have bothered busting a gut as they were all sitting round the table, completely plastered, having been drinking since 7am.

They'd got as far as cooking the turkey at least, and the potatoes were well on their way, plus bacon-wrapped sausages – just waiting on the parsnips. Think Simon said that about four times – just waiting on the parsnips. Turned out it wasn't just the parsnips though, as the carrots, cauliflower and broccoli were lying around in their plastic bags, totally unprepared for the pot.
Taking command of the situation, and being the only one sober enough to wield a chopping knife, I finished the dinner prep, delegated table-setting, and more or less single-handedly, saved the day.

In spite of the chaotic assemblage, it turned out to be quite a tasty meal. My official capacity had actually been the pudding provider, but by that stage their weren't a lot of takers. Back on the booze downstairs they were, while I supervised little kids playing charades. Made my excuses soon after, leaving Eddie and Rosie to it, but not a bad evening really.

Had missed a call from my brother, so rang back when we got home – good to have a chat with him although I was probably quite tipsy at the time. Then Graham turned up, having spent the evening with his family over in St Just (still ever so slightly miffed that I/we didn't get an invite). He took over Eddie's hand at monopoly, but I can't for the life of me remember who won? Or whether we just decided to call it quits. Definitely dove into bed though, which is as it should be. A Happy Christmas ending.


Again, were left to lie-in in the morning – Lucy the first to venture down, and she not only brought us cups of tea in bed, but also made pancakes. Were thinking about getting up, but put on a film instead – very decadent watching The Fifth Element, all of us snuggled under the duvet, me and Graham not even dressed.

And that's how we were when Heidi and the boys came round. Leapt into action to be hospitable but Heidi'd come prepared with picnic, and the plan was to go for a walk. Graham ducked off home to sort his place out, ready for Rory's arrival tonight, and Eddie passed on account of his dickie foot, but the rest of us were up for it. I suggested the circular walk from Ludgvan on part of the Saint Michael's Way path. Excellent choice, as it was about the right length (a good 2hrs), and went through some really varied and pretty countryside. Even picked some daffy bulbs, which Lucy later planted in a pot to give to Terry's mum as a present when they go up there.

Went back to Heidi's after to have some more grub, a glass of celebratory champagne, and played a game of risk. They're off to Norfolk tomorrow until after New Year, so really nice to see them – spend a day with them. Ed was quite relaxed, and they seemed very happy together.

Back to our cold, cold house – Rosie ensconced in her room with overly loud music, and the kids watching a crap video – it is Christmas I suppose. But all in all, a splendid day; a perfect kind of a Boxing Day day. I'm feeling totally knackered – more than ready to crawl into bed, snuggle up and get all cosy. Would prefer it to be with a good book, but unfortunately that just ain't going to be possible. Never mind. Cats and Dogs it is then I guess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home