Under duress

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

When cars let you down

Great. That's all I need. Went to drive over to Newlyn to fetch the kids from scouts, when crunch... there was a horrible sickening engine noise, and the car stopped dead – weren't going nowhere. Fortunately (I suppose) hadn't gone very far, and after ringing to organise an alternative lift for the kids to get home, I collared Rosie to help push it off the road. Miraculously there was a parking space close to hand, one that was big enough for us to manoeuvre the beast of a car in, which we did first attempt, without bashing into either of the other cars parked fore and aft.

A relief to have moved it so painlessly, but not sure what to do next. Tried to get hold of a mechanic friend but no response yet. Failing that, its the RAC I guess. Really, really hope it's something simple like the fan belt as that was squeaking prior to the crunch. But I doubt it somehow. In my limited experience, all that would happen in that case is the engine would overheat (I think?). If it's the timing belt, I'm fucked, as I gather that's a major strip down and rebuild. Not that I really know anything actually, me attempting to troubleshoot is a rather pointless exercise – might as well wait for an expert opinion, and then take it from there. So tedious though – as if I haven't got enough things to deal with in my life right now. Arrrggh!!!

Had only just this evening rung Phil and Ali to make tentative enquiries re an easter visit, but not much chance of that if we're without transport. Getting around this weekend's going to be tricky, so not sure if I'll be able to make Heidi's birthday do very easily, and I'm meant to be in St Ives next Weds which is a nightmare by public transport. It's all going to be a right royal pain, and I don't even use the damn thing all that much compared to most drivers. May have to go on the scrounge to temporarily borrow one for the Weds eve at least – unless I try and risk it with the Renault. Swap tax discs or something? But I'm running away with myself now – need to just find out what the problem is first.

Was planning on spending most of tomorrow beavering away at Susannah's homework, but that seems somewhat unlikely now. Chase car stuff first, but also want to give blood and go for a swim (but not in that order – fainted once before after donating blood, so swimming immediately afterwards probably not such a good idea)! I've got such a jumble of things that I need to do rammed in my head that it's difficult to focus on what to do next. Think I'm going to have to write a list. A very anal, nerdy, prioritised list, as otherwise, I'll probably just blow-up! Freak out and end up lunching it (which would be a disaster).

Plans to do certain bits of work now are going to be quashed – too tired and fucked off to think straight. If I can kick Eddie out of my bed downstairs, I may even do something really radical, like read some of Into Thin Air whilst curled up under the duvet, with a nice cup of tea. A simple pleasure, but one which I literally haven't experienced since the enforced Wuthering Heights days.

Tragic mountain adventure. Here I come.


2 Comments:

At 6:34 PM, Blogger miss-cellany said...

Absolute sympathy and love, our car broke two weeks ago. Only happens, of course when you are mostest brokest, well hope you're not.

Anyway, it's a bugger. Only good thing to come out of it is return of well toned calf muscles and arse on account of silly amounts of walking.

Crap cars, and crap boys. Leave them both in the scrap yard.
x

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger Taiga the Fox said...

Hi, I just popped over to say thanks so much for your comments and the link too!
Erm...are you seriously having four kids??? [Just trying to cope (badly) with two ]

 

Post a Comment

<< Home