Under duress

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Five Years...

...of being in this house as of today. Frightening but true. House envy seems to be a growing concern, for both me and the kids. They're avid fans of Grand Design and those crappy property programmes which is more of a wind up then anything else – a reminder of how un-fab our home is. On Sunday I was atypically being a swotty student upstairs, when the kids shouted me down to see a news feature on the Politics Show to do with over-crowding. - picking up on the story of a family of five living in a 2-bed (council) house. As far as I could tell, they have it easy compared to our situation: the two older kids share a room, and mum and dad share their room with the toddler. Not a prob I wouldn't have thought. At least they have a proper lounge and kitchen – no doubt a garden as well.

Went on their website to email a response to the story – not that I expect any come-back. Clicked through from there to the page that says 'Do you want to be on a show?'; the only applicable one to my circumstances being What Not To Wear – they're looking for mature students. Am tempted to apply, purely for the opportunity to promote myself/my blog to try and get some publicity for my book idea, and maybe tempt a publisher in that way? A really long shot, but I guess you have to try all possibilities - even if it means pimping myself for posterity. So I'll have to get a couple of photos taken to send off, pretty soonish. Expect Penzance is too out of the way to be honest, and shame it's not something more exciting – one of those expedition/adventure programmes, rather than boring old clothes bollocks.

Later, I drove over to Hayle to collect Rosie's repaired surfboard, at long last. Far too gorgeous a day to be driving straight back home again, so thought I'd explore a part of Penwith I don't know that well – heading towards Gwinear way. As I was ill prepared to walk the muddy fields I found a bridal way which meandered down the hill, past the kinds of rural retreat houses that set my house envy affliction into overdrive. I start to question what I'm doing living in town, when there are these patches of paradise out there. And then I remember that I can't afford to move anywhere even remotely like these swanky residences – and I'd be spending my whole life carting kids around. And I wouldn't be able to stagger home of a night out either! Yes, to a country retreat at some point. No, to it being now. So I had to content myself with gazing longingly at other people's delightful abodes, and magnificent gardens. Scrumped a bunch of daffodils on the way back to the car to cheer myself up – always does the trick.

Still rabbiting on about Sunday when it's Wednesday already – what am I like? But as it's 2am, that's where I'll leave it. Til next time dear reader.



2 Comments:

At 2:29 PM, Blogger miss-cellany said...

Just out of blogging etiquette - have linked you to my blog.

Re. the big houses, yes they are idyllic and I miss walking Oz to school past fields of daffodils, but...a)running out of milk is a bugger and, b)they are owned by rich t**ts who moan about the no. of properties that they own and fuck you over with a 'cleaner' bill when you have spent two days in Marigolds and bleach..

Not that I'm ranting. Bothered?

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Fi said...

Oh no! Sorry to hear being a scrubber didn't work? That's gutting! And so bloody unfair. If only we could put the world to rights by pen...

But thank you, for linking me. Sorry you had to read self-pitying diatribe. Please let me know how I can link to you?

Catch you soon, xFi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home