Under duress

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Hard work this parenting malarky

Should've been spending my time tonight working on assignments, or god forbid, chilling out, relaxing. But no, have just spent 2hrs composing/typing a letter on my son's behalf regarding his bodyboarding. Purely because its a way that I can show my support given that his ambition is to be a professional boarder. Not easy, as its such a poor profile sport, and I don't have money to invest in him. Just time (precious little) and interest. Have to remind myself every time I whinge at having to drive him to this beach or other, that that's what parents do. Even if it is now 1.45am and I'm desperate to get to bed.

Just had the phone ring too. Immediately panicked thinking that it must be my mum in Australia or something, who else would ring so late. Dreading a call like the one which informed me that my brother was in intensive care, paralysed, may not pull through, probably never walk again. That was 14 years ago and he's been in a wheel chair ever since.

But no, it was the ex, asking to meet for coffee tomorrow at 10am to discuss the children. Great. All I need on my day off as it were. A load of grief and hassle.

Long, long day at college, Thursdays always are. Interspersed lectures with bouts on the library computer. Tidied up my 'hope' poem, and Bill also kindly gave some helpful suggestions which improved it no end. Haven't written a poem for ages, so nice to do so. Checking emails always seems to evaporate the minutes also. Guest speaker Brian talking largely about Dickens tonight. Sort of interesting I suppose – the best-seller vs. literary tome debate.

But just desperate to get home as feeling tired, cold, and hungry. In the morning, I'd rung to arrange a viewing of a car, seeing as mine is going to die a dramatic death next month. Said 7pm, as would be possible to call in on way to taking Eddie to Hayle, although he was actually meant to be there at seven too. Picked up a message on my mobile from Lucy – at a friend's house near St Buryan, needed picking up at 7pm. Great. A 3-way split.

Nasty accident with lots of police cars, fire engines and ambulances on the scene, closed the road which meant a major detour, and an extra 25 minutes to our journey, which meant, I didn't get home until...seven! Billy and Rosie hadn't had any dinner, so threw some pasta in a pot before leaping into the car. Quick call to the man with the Peugeot for sale, who calmly informed me that he'd sold it to someone else at 5.30pm – even though I'd been the first caller, had explained that I'd be stuck at college all day, but would be there 7-ish. Arrrrgh. Great.

So sat in car waiting for Eddie to do his do – exhausted, freezing, and starving. With the delightful pages of Wuthering Heights to keep me company, but it's hardly what you'd call a warming, up-lifting or nourishing book. Listened to some more of Jazz on the way home too. Less than light also. And so now to bed, to wake my neglected darlings bright and early, ready for another school day.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home