Under duress

Monday, October 23, 2006

Why this time of night?

Why is it that I can never write my blog before midnight? Tend to be in zombie mode at this point - not reakky thinking clearly. Stream of consciousness? Barely. Notice how I hit the wrong key and spelt 'really', really badly. At least I've knocked out another assignment by the deadline -yay! 'Establishing a voice as a narrator'. Felt like a right thicko in the lecture though. Couldn't get to grips with the theory of narratology at all. Covert heterodiegetic? No thanks - make mine a homo. Made slightly more sense whilst I was slavishly copying my notes into my new project book/folder. Sinking in slowly. I hope.
Interviewed Jane Pugh this morning for 'About Writing' feature. Wanted to record it for possible podcasting but couldn't get minidisc to work. Kept cutting out halfway through the first question. Gave up and scrawled notes old stylee. Will endeavour to re-write them into a legible form after I've done this - save the proper write-up for another day. She was very patient with me, and as I suspected, had a lot of interesting, useful things to say. Hope I do her justice.
Popped into the library on the way home and borrowed a couple of audio books - the shortest I could find - as per Christina's suggestion. Need to buy a portable cd player now to use on car journeys. Also picked up a couple of Quick Reads as thought they may be vaguely managable, although I need to finish Wuthering Heights and Hero first.
Kids off school as it's half term and were suffering from cabin fever, so took them for a surf in afternoon - the kind of activity you can get away with in the pissing rain. Sat in the car, dodging the drips, writing the 'voice' h/work. Must have been influenced by weds' research activity when we were looking at call-girl memoirs, as that's what it was about. Still unsure if I succeeded in giving the narrator a unique voice though, as it's more or less me speaking. But I'm the writer - so how does that work?
It's my third day of no shoes. Get some funny looks walking round town, and pushing the trolley round Lidls. Looks of disdain. Or ones that say 'tramp'. Can't help it though - feet too messed up and tender to try socks, let alone footwear. Not sure if I can handle having to constantly explain myself if I go barefoot tomorrow at college. Then again, not sure if I'm ready for shoes! At least it's not freezing, freezing. Can just about get away with it.
Had to take Lucy to the doctors today to have her ganglia looked at. Needs an operation apparently. Will be referred for treatment, hopefully at West Cornwall. All I could think of was, 'please don't be on a day when I'm at Falmouth'. What kind of a concerned mother am I? And, was so busy writing and typing over the weekend, didn't notice that Rosie hadn't come home from a party in Shepton Mallet. Went on Friday - still not back 9pm Sunday! How slack is that?
Fortunately she was safe and sound. Had sent me a text to say she was staying on, but I never received it. Well they're all tucked up in bed now. Wish I was. Better get on with re-writing those notes. Yawn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home