Under duress

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Numb bum

Seem to have spent most of the day seated. Driving at various times, or sat at a desk being studious. Managed to get to the pool yesterday to do some laps - first time in ages. Squeezed in a quick 80 before band practise and feeling it now. Achey arms. Long day at college but felt worthwhile. Guest speaker talking about future directions in publishing had some disheartening things to say though. Rapid shift away from the conventional printed page soon. E-text as king. Death of the novel as reading tastes downsize. Good news for poetry though? Not convinced it'll be a boom time for writers, who will supposedly earn income from the number of hits a given piece of writing receives. Not convinced at all. Nothing like a good book.
Wish I had more time to devote to reading. Well, any time actually. Feel like I'm missing out on so much. Is on my list of must do's when life calms down a bit. Am going to be at a severe disadvantage with this course because of my un-literariness. Don't know how I can possibly find space. Don't watch tv, or listen to music. Socially, I've already become a hermit in order to get assignments done. Can't jack the Acorn in - is too much a part of my sense of belonging here. And reluctant to give up all modelling, as when I finish this course (if I finish this course) I'll be destitute. Will be relying on it for my bread and butter.
Drove Eddie to Hayle as soon as I got in. CPR training tonight as part of his life guard course. Had left kids with instructions to sort themselves out with pizza for tea but no time for me to eat. Not worth driving back to Penzance, so huddled on the back seat of the car holding Wuthering Heights up at an awkward angle, to try and catch the street lamp glow. Straining to see in the gloom tiring, but internal car light doesn't work. Story of my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home