Under duress

Sunday, October 22, 2006

Weekend glitches.

Tried to post yesterday but servers down, so a blog-free day I'm afraid. Was relatively uneventful anyway - a day of shopping, house-keeping and family activity. Although I did come a cropper on my bike. Wearing flip-flops not recommended. Somehow ended up braking my fall with the unprotected uppers of my feet. Now missing a quantity of skin in places. Eddie, took great, sadistic delight in applying his tincture of lizard's blood (purchased during his recent trip to Indonesia when he experienced similar gravel rash following a motor bike incident - also wearing flip-flops I hasten to add). Hurt like hell, my screams no doubt terrorising the neighbours.
Cycle ride to Marazion seemed like a good idea at the time, albeit in bare feet, as couldn't handle even the afore-mentioned flip-flops on my injured parts. But torrential downpours not a lot of fun. Nor were the gale force head winds on the way home. Pedalling virtually at a stand-still, my thigh muscles remain distressed. Had to apologise to my drenched, exhuasted children in a big way when we got home.
The inclement weather didn't seem to deter the avid train-spotters though. Loads of them, cameras at the ready, photographing the steam trains pulled in at Penzance station. The King Edward I extremely Potteresque, with it's vintage green bodywork and shiny black funnel.
My long-suffering boyfriend, and 1/2 term holiday visiting son, were joining us for dinner so my attention was immediately required in the kitchen. Cracking meal if I do say so myself. Afterwards we had a cracking game of Boggle - does that qualify as part of my academic pursuits I wonder? The rules were adjusted to make it fairer in that adults had to write words of a minimum of 4 letters. Utterly thwarted - me the queen of 3-letter words - unable to sweep the board clean. Gnash, gnash. Nice not to have an under-occupied bed later also.

No chance of a lie-in. Booked to take Eddie and a mate to a bodyboarding competition up near Padstow. Up at 6.45am. Groan. Ended up taking the mate's ultra-dedicated girlfriend which meant that my plan to turn my car into a writing studio was seriously compromised. When we arrived, the organiser's dithered about trying to decide which beach to run the event. A foul day, absolutely tipping it down. Tried reading Wuthering Heights but was distracted by the girlfriend's triumverate of glossies. Headlines from Heat were screaming for my attention, making it difficult to concentrate. Eventually I was able to get on with some work, writing a rough draft for another persuasive argument essay.
After the first division, the competition was cancelled due to crap conditions. Only the drop-knee event ran, so for the bodyboarders, a complete waste of time. Urrgh. Eddie did receive the prize for 'best wipe-out', so at least came away with a new rash vest and a book on finding the hottest waves on the east and west coasts of America(?)
Have now typed up the essay. Still a piece of writing to finish for one of the other classes - trying to establish a 'voice'. Will make a start shortly. Tried to access bloc to read the submissions in the 'About Writing' section but pages won't up-load. A problem their end I think. A bugger really as I wanted to research some question ideas for my interview with Jane Pugh tomorrow. Will have to wing it. Gotta feed the hungry hordes now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home